Stop stick brings dangerous driver to a halt

Date published: 12 September 2023 14:55
Dated: 12 September 2023 15:47:03

A man who failed to stop for roads policing officers early hours this morning is in police custody facing multiple charges.

Just after midnight officers spotted a white Ford Transit van in the Thurnscoe area of Barnsley, and as part of a routine traffic stop, requested the driver to pull over.

The driver, a 35-year-old man failed to stop and a pursuit started, during which the driver failed to stop at red lights, reached speeds of 60mph in residential areas and attempted to ram a police car.

Officers used a stop stick, a device used to deflate tyres to bring pursuits to a stop after around six minutes of following the driver.

The van suffered three damaged tyres. As it came to a stop, the driver attempted to run but was quickly arrested. The driver’s passenger fled the scene and enquiries to identify and locate him are continuing.

The driver, who was wearing a balaclava was arrested for failing to stop and dangerous driving. A closer inspection of his vehicle, believed to be on cloned plates is understood to have been reported stolen from the West Yorkshire area.

Following a search of the vehicle and a drugs wipe test he was further arrested on suspicion of driving over the prescribed limit of drugs and going equipped.

Items, that officers believe are used in the theft of vehicles were located within the vehicle.

Roads Policing Chief Inspector Pete Spratt said: “Roads policing officers are highly trained in bringing those who pose a risk on our roads and use our roads for criminality to a stop and before the courts.

“Throughout a pursuit our officers will continually monitor the risk that the suspect is posing and adjust their tactics to bring the car to a stop. A stop stick deployment has to be quick, with precision to be effective, but allows us to slow the vehicle down and bring it to a stop.

“Criminals use the road network to commit their crimes, and we are passionate about intercepting them and bringing them before the courts.”

The 35 year-old man remains in police custody.

Related Content

No related content found