Road traffic collisions

Date published: 23 September 2022 12:38

If you have been involved in a road traffic collision please read the following:

If you're involved in a minor collision, no injury is caused to anyone involved in the collision, and all parties have exchanged details, then there is no requirement to report this to the police. Your insurance company will deal with this under Civil Law.

If, as a driver of a vehicle (including car, motorcycle or bus), you are involved in an accident in which;

  • A person, is injured
  • Damage has been caused to another vehicle or to someone else’s property – including street lamps, signs, bollards etc
  • An animal, other than one in your own vehicle/trailer, has been killed or injured

... then you must report it to the police within 24 hours.

We would ask you to attend a police station in person to report this within the 24 hour period.

We have prepared some frequently asked questions, that you can have a look at here, before attending at a police station.

You should always inform your insurance company, even if you are not intending to present a claim.

Should I call 101? Road Traffic Collisions

Should I call 101? Road Traffic Collisions

If you are a solicitor and/or insurance company requesting disclosure of road traffic documents, you must apply in writing to
Please give as much detail as possible including your clients name, VRM, date and location of collision.

If you are a member of the public and are wanting an update on a collision you can contact the team on:

Telephone: 0114 2202856 between the hours of 10am and 2pm Monday to Friday 

To view the price list for disclosure, click here

For more information on Road Traffic Collisions, visit