Overseas visitor registration

1. Advice for overseas visitors and students, living/studying in the South Yorkshire

When you enter the UK for the first time you may be asked to register with the police as part of your visa conditions.  This requirement can be found on your entry clearance visa, which is in your passport.  You may need to register if you are from one of the following countries:       

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China (inc. Hong Kong  & Macao), Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan & Yemen.

2. When must I register? 
Your visa states you must register within seven days of arrival in the UK or within 7 days of your visa being granted by the UKBA (if already in the UK).

3. How do I register?

If this is your first time to the UK simply REGISTER HERE.
Once registered you will have a fee of £34.00 (we accept cash or debit/credit cards) to pay when you attend to collect your Police Registration Certificate (PRC) at your chosen date, time and location. You will need to present your passport, BRP Card, CAS/Offer Letter and Accomodation Contract when you come to collect your certificate. Please note that appointments for new registrations will take approximately 15 minutes.
You are advised not to carry the PRC with you but to keep it in a safe place, together with your passport and other travel documents.  If you are asked to produce the PRC, you will be given 48 hours in which to do so at any police station.
If you are already in possession of a PRC and you wish to report any changes, then please attend your nearest police station where your PRC will be updated accordingly free of charge - See Section 7 for more details.
4. What if I’m already registered with another police force?

If you have already registered in a different police force area, you will need to ‘transfer’ to South Yorkshire.  Please log in here and follow the instructions, selecting the 'transfer' option and complete the details as requested. Please ensure you make an appointment and then attend at the venue on the date and time chosen by you. You will have your existing Police Registration Certificate and passport updated.

There is no fee to pay.

5. Will my spouse and children have to register?
1. All overseas visitors from countries listed in section 1 who are aged sixteen years or over normally have to register.
2. Inform the police of any children aged under 16 years, including any born after your initial registration.
3. If in any doubt, ask for advice at the South Yorkshire Police Overseas Visitors Department- contact details and opening times in section 10.

6. What will happen if I do not register with the police within seven days?
Failure to register with the police is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971 and where a person fails to register, the police can consider prosecution. You may be liable to arrest and could face a fine of up to £5,000, six months imprisonment, or both.  Your stay in the UK may also be affected.

If you are late registering with the police it may affect your next visa application.

7. Once I have registered, what if my circumstances change?
If your circumstances change as listed below, you must inform the police by completing the attached Change in Circumstances form and take it to your nearest police station (addresses and opening times). This must be done within seven days of the change occurring.

  • Any change of address (Please bring your tenancy/rent agreement showing the new address and moving in date).
  • Any change of college, university or course details (Please bring your CAS study letter).
  • Any change of occupation (Please bring your contract of employment).
  • Any change of marital status or birth of a child (please bring the certificate).
  • Any new passport or travel document (please bring the passport/travel docs).
  • Any new visas/landing conditions or extensions of stay granted by the UKBA or by a British Embassy/Consulate

8. Completed Studies/Employment?
When your studies/employment is completed in the UK and you are returning home on a permanent basis, it is essential that you return your police registration certificate to your nearest police station (addresses and opening times) informing them of your intended departure date.

9. Any Questions?


Call 0114 2523212 or 101 and ask for South Yorkshire Police Overseas Visitors Registration Office.  Office opening times are Monday to Thursday 8am – 3:30pm and Friday 8am – 3pm.

Overseas Visitors Registration Office: Snig Hill Police Station, Sheffield S3 8LY. Please note there is no on-site parking or toilet facilities available.