This is a Freedom of Information request about racism. I have 7 questions:
1. Please say how many racism or racial discrimination complaints have been made against your organization in the past five years.
2. Say how many complaints have been in the past five years made by organisation employees against your organisation or individuals working within it and representing it at the time.
3. Please briefly describe each complaint (without identifying individuals),
4. Say how many of these complaints have been upheld by your organization,
5. Say what money was paid (if it was paid) in each case,
6. Say if your organization apologized,
7. Say when the complaint was made and when it was settled.
Section 21 - Information which is reasonably accessible to the applicant.
Section 17 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 requires South Yorkshire Police, when refusing to provide such information (because the information is exempt), to provide you the applicant with a notice which:
a. states that fact,
b. specifies the exemption in question and
c. states (if that would not otherwise be apparent) why the exemption applies).
The exemption applicable to your request falls under Section 21.
Section 21 ‘Information which is reasonably accessible to the applicant'.
This information is available on South Yorkshire Police Website; the web links below will take you to the data:
However, I can provide the following details:
I approached our Professional Standards Department for assistance with your request. The Performance Development Team Leader was able to provide the information and advice.
(They advise it should be noted that one individual may make a number of complaints / allegations at any one time / case)
- -alleged called colleagues racist remarks
- -racist comments to do with Jewish religion on social media.
- -comment was deemed a potential racist.
- -made racist jokes to other members of staff
- -racist and right wing posts on social media.
- -reports of unfair supervisory treatment and deliberate insensitive comments - discriminatory behaviour.
- -inappropriate anti-semitic comments used
- -sexually explicit and racially offensive comments to a number of staff members
- -alleged to have made racist/islamophobic comments